Come take a class ...
they're cheap and fun!
Call to Register: 303-987-5436:
Or try this website:
The Lakewood Heritage, Culture and the Arts programming website has all the most current brochures and information for you to investigate HERE.
DROP-IN EVENING GUITAR
Finally! A fun and inexpensive way to become a rock legend or at least a pretty groovin’ guitar guru. The first half hour will be for complete beginners or people who’ve been away from guitar for awhile and need a little help getting on track. After that, we open it up for ensemble playing, solo demonstrations and mini lessons. We use standard notation and tablature along with chord grids to make it easy and fun for everyone. All acoustic guitar styles welcome. No registration required.
- Mondays Jun 6-Aug 22 (No class Jul 4 and last Monday of each month)
- 6:30-8 p.m.
- Cost per session: $8 (purchase at front desk)
- Location: Lakewood Cultural Center
Want More Uke? UKULELE SUMMER INSTITUTE
Join us for a rowdy summer session on the ukulele. We will be writing songs, learning music theory, helping you memorize your favorite whatever to impress your friends, and earning merit ribbons for your growth as a player. Plan to be a legendary rock star by the time the leaves change. All ages and skill levels welcome from absolute beginner to dowdy professional. Meeting times and locations may be adjusted as the summer progresses. Children under 16 should be accompanied by an adult.
- Newer players will get the platinum treatment to get their ukes up to speed quickly.
- We'll have workshops and other novel fun things to learn based on your interests. Your personal action plan might include working on areas like chord-melody playing, memorizing, songwriting, arpeggios, strumming patterns, and teaching ukulele.
- I will be challenging you to a composers challenge that will make you famous ... or blistered and nearly dead.
- Ensemble musician certifications will take you beyond being a mere ukulele player.
- We'll work weekly on parts of the entire RMUO repertoire.
- We're gonna record a CD if we sound great by the end of summer. Your first (?) album!
- It's only $45 for 9 weeks. Sign up! Call the city at 303-987-5436
- Tuesdays Jul 5-Aug 30
- 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Cost: $45 (purchase at front desk)
- Location: Lakewood Cultural Center
This FALL ... Every Tuesday
Rocky Mountain Ukulele Orchestra!
- No Registration Required! Ukulele Orchestra: Tuesdays at 6 p.m.
- Check our calendar HERE to make sure it's not an "off" week.
- Starting this fall 2016, we'll meet at Clements Community Center at 1580 Yarrow Street (near Colfax and Wadsworth). Prior to that, we'll be involved in the Ukulele Summer Institute (see above).
- There is a $5 weekly fee and a quarterly membership fee of $10.
************** COURSE DESCRIPTIONS ***********************
ONE-DAY WORKSHOP: These are offered only by request, and usually held someplace crazy! You should come to a one-day workshop if you're new to your instrument. We will focus on buying and tuning choices, strumming techniques, basic chord shapes, reading tablature and playing melody lines. We'll even learn how to combine chords and melody so you'll sound like a professional.
INTRODUCTION TO UKULELE: These six-week workshops are an in-depth exploration of the ukulele and focused around your needs whether you are new to music or have been playing another instrument for a long time. We'll get straight to sheet music, music theory, combining melody and harmony, building your repertoire, composing in major keys, and developing your performance skills. I am certified in James Hill's method and we use lots of his ideas to make the education both fun and effective.
DROP-IN GUITAR: This on-going series is a way to jump start your old desire to play one of the world's great instruments. We study sheet music, music theory, combining melody and harmony, building your repertoire, and developing your performance skills. Beginners and people with rusty fingers should come for the first half hour where we'll focus on basic correct playing techniques and afterward we'll open it up to solo and ensemble playing along with mini-lessons on important aspects of musicianship. We offer students a weekly chance to play with others in a supportive environment for both beginners and advancing students. Bring an acoustic guitar please.
All of the classes will encourage you to seek out additional private instruction from some of our local teachers, will make you more aware of musical resources in our community, and bring peace, joy and harmony to others who see you wielding your mighty instrument.
We've received a lot of support from the city of Lakewood, Jim Olson, Natalie Renfroe and the entire staff of the Heritage, Culture and the Arts to get this going and keep it running smoothly. We're focused on delivering way more than you'd expect for such a tiny fee. Please be in contact with us, come join us for a class, and bring a friend too.
Here's my two ukulele jokes:
Get high "G" ~ It's legal in Colorado. :)
We're stringing people along in Lakewood. :)
Hostile Ukulele Girl
History of our classes:
- Drop in Evening Guitar: Jan 5-May 17
- Introduction to Ukulele: Jan 25-Mar 7
- Introduction to Ukulele: Mar 14-Apr 18
- Tin Pan Alley for Ukulele: Apr 25-May 16
- Summer Institute: Jul 5-Aug 30
- Drop in Evening Guitar: Jun 6-Aug 22
- Drop in Evening Guitar: Jan 12-May 18
- Introduction to Ukulele: Jan 28-Mar 4
- Introduction to Ukulele: Mar 11-Apr 15
- Ukulele Jazz: Apr 22-May 13
- Drop in Evening Guitar: Sep 8-Dec 15
- Introduction to Ukulele: Sep 14-Oct 19
- Introduction to Ukulele: Oct 26-Nov 30
- Ukulele Christmas: Dec 7-Dec 21
- Ukulele One-Day Workshop: Jan 22
- Guitar Jan 25-Feb 15
- Introduction to Ukulele: Jan 29-Mar 5
- Saturday Ukulele 1-day Workshop: Mar 8
- Introduction to Ukulele: Mar 12-Apr 16
- Guitar: Mar 15-Apr 5
- Cowboy Ukulele: Apr 23-May 14
- Ukulele Intro: Jun 11-July 16
- Ukulele Hawaiian: July 23-Aug 13
- Ukulele One-Night Workshop: Oct 1
- Ukulele Intro: Oct 8-Nov 12
- Guitar One-Night Workshop: Oct 13
- Guitar Four-Week Intro: Oct 20-Nov 10
- Ukulele Christmas: Nov 19-Dec 17
- One Day Workshop: Jan 26
- Intro to Ukulele: Jan 30-Mar 6
- One Day Workshop: Mar 9
- Intro to Ukulele: Mar 13-Apr 17
- Broadway Show Tunes: Apr 24-May 15
- One Day Workshop: June 5
- Intro to Ukulele: Jun 12-Jul 17
- One Day Workshop: July 20
- One Day Workshop: Sep 14
- Intro to Ukulele: Sep 18-Oct 23
- Guitar Workshop: Oct 19
- Intro to Guitar: Nov 2-23
- Ukulele Christmas: Nov 13-Dec 11
- Jan 28: One Day Workshop
- Feb 2: One Day Workshop
- Feb 4-Mar 8: Six Week Intro
- Mar 10: One Day Workshop
- Mar 15-Apr 19: Six Week Intro
- March 18: Ukulele Orchestra
- Apr 25-May 16: Want More Uke
- Jun 6: One Day Workshop
- Jun13-Jul 25: Six Week Intro
- Jul 21: One Day Workshop
- Sep 8: One Day Workshop
- Sep 19-Oct 24: Six Week Intro
- Oct 6: One Day Workshop
- Nov 7-Nov 28: Holiday Favorites